wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > News & Announcements > Gerhard Werner 1921-2012
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Todd Rowland
Wolfram Research
Maryland

Gerhard Werner 1921-2012

Gerhard passed away on March 26 at the age of 90. He was a student at our 2008 summer school where (with his mentor Matthew Szudzik) he made discoveries about network growth. Attached is a graphic with his homework CA; he chose rule 101 among the radius 3/2 rules.

The summer school is an intense place. Everyone at the summer school was inspired by this man in his late 80s, walking up and down the hills on the Vermont campus, trying out new ideas and working as hard as anybody else.

On Feb 24 he responded to our alumni survey with his usual gusto.

"... the summer school was one of the highlights of my professional life - what a profound and thrilling intellectual experience !! The stellar and dedicated faculty worked far beyond the call of duty - effectively transmitting not only skills and knowledge but also inspirational enthusiasm ! I compare it with a similar experience I had in the 1960s at MIT when I was member of a team that assembled and programmed the LINC computer which is now in the Smithsonian ! Both occasions made deep and formative impacts on my manner of thinking and scientific outlook !

... Mathematica figures prominently in my life, working on nonlinear Dynamics, phase space dynamics and renormalization Group Transformations: BUT I would need a refresher course !!!!"

Todd Rowland has attached this image:

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-27-2012 04:25 PM
Todd Rowland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Rowland Click here to Send Todd Rowland a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Rowland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives