wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > Probleme with impaire totalistioc codes
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jason Cawley
Wolfram Science Group
Phoenix, AZ USA

So the next question is to see what your digitbinary function is filling in for numbers in the range you are actually plotting, less than 512, and specifically 450 to 498.

Then I assume your boundary conditions are right (they are if your array is consistently indexed from 0 to width-1 and 0 to height-1, not e.g. 1 to width or 1 to height). Then that you are keeping the whole old array and generating the whole new array from it, not replacing as you go into the same array.

Then that the array size you are using for the early steps is sufficient to incorporate the correct alternating outer boundary cells for the odd rule numbers, up to the full size you reach at step 22 (a likely culprit - if you "wrap" a smaller initial condition instead of having a sea of background 0s updated correctly, etc).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-2009 06:29 PM
Jason Cawley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Cawley Click here to Send Jason Cawley a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Cawley
Wolfram Science Group
Phoenix, AZ USA

Perhaps your problem is that you are evaluating the behavior of the right CA rules on a wrapped-boundary field of fixed width, and that width may be small - but that you are not evaluating its behavior on an infinite white background, correctly.

For evaluating 22 steps using a fixed sized array, you'd need to start from a 45 by 45 field of 0s with a single 1 at position {23,23}. Then you'd see the same evolution as the single 1 on an infinite field of 0s (up to step 22 I mean). One thing to check, at any rate.

Old Post 03-13-2009 07:03 PM
Jason Cawley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Cawley Click here to Send Jason Cawley a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
M.Abdeldjalil

Sorry, unfortunately i don't understand.
And what's the relation of width or height for all that(i have a gride (400,400),with initial condition single black at (200,200)).

In my programm, there is a textField where i can put the code of rule as i want .

The pictures 450 to 498 are just an examples of 1024 examples of outer totalistic as you know.

See you this pictures correct? if not, so where is the problem?

And why the code 942,1022 are generated correctlly, but 451,453 not at all for examples???

Really it's verry crazy to be blocked with problems of this kinds?

???????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by M.Abdeldjalil on 03-13-2009 at 10:03 PM

Old Post 03-13-2009 09:55 PM
M.Abdeldjalil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for M.Abdeldjalil Visit M.Abdeldjalil's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Cawley
Wolfram Science Group
Phoenix, AZ USA

Your code has a bug, I just don't know where because I didn't write it.

A large array like that won't give you the wrapping problem so it is something else.

That some of the rule numbers work correctly implies that only one or a few digits of the rule are affected by whatever bug you have. That it occurs for odd rule numbers suggests it is the lowest bit. I pointed out previously that one version of the code you posted had the 0 and 1 cases reversed for the lowest case of the rule, for example. That would certainly do it, if uncorrected.

And yes I can see the pictures you are posting, and I can see that they are wrong. I can also generate the right pictures in one line of Mathematica - so you can be quite certain the problem is somewhere in your own code. This is sort of why we encourage people working on NKS to use Mathematica. Recoding it from scratch is simply asking for your own special bugs and the trouble you are experiencing.

Old Post 03-13-2009 11:25 PM
M.Abdeldjalil

Certainly, Mathematica is fast to worl with it to genetate this pictures in one line because it contains the libraries for that.

But java doesn't not, perhapse one day java will contain a packages and classes specilly for cellular automata and their applications.

about the bugs, i'll try to repeat all again.

Thank you for all.

Old Post 03-14-2009 10:43 AM
M.Abdeldjalil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for M.Abdeldjalil Visit M.Abdeldjalil's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
M.Abdeldjalil

Problem resolved.

Thank you verry much !!

Last edited by M.Abdeldjalil on 03-14-2009 at 02:52 PM

Old Post 03-14-2009 01:52 PM
Vic Andersen

Gustine, CA

I'm getting the same pictures for page 173 as M.Abdeldjal. I'm writing in C++ and not using Mathematica.

I've staretd a new thread on this subject.

Old Post 04-20-2011 04:52 PM
Vic Andersen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Andersen Click here to Send Vic Andersen a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives