wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Applied NKS > Combinatorics and NKS
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Paul C. Meehan
PCM Solutions Ltd
Dublin, Ireland

Combinatorics and NKS

Would I be correct in saying Wolframs 2-dimensional automata are inherently combinatorial in nature so far as the rules can be generated combinatorially?

The output can be defined as a discrete map of a 2-D space. Can this map be described combinatorially?

The reason I pose these questions is that I have some background in combinatorial algorithms and I am considering allocating some research time to programming projects in NKS. Specifically combinatorial views of NKS.

Any responses to my questions?
Any research out there in this area?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-12-2011 10:29 PM
Paul C. Meehan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul C. Meehan Visit Paul C. Meehan's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul C. Meehan
PCM Solutions Ltd
Dublin, Ireland

Just realized this should have been posted to Pure NKS. Sorry!

Old Post 03-12-2011 11:41 PM
Paul C. Meehan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul C. Meehan Visit Paul C. Meehan's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Smith
Meme Media
Melbourne, Australia

Definitely related

Paul, I recently recognised that my earlier work in combinatorics was something of a precursor to my interest in CA and other discrete systems, but I would not go so far as trying to analyse one in terms of the other.

Rather I see them as parts of a larger whole which also includes the likes of solid geometry, especially tiling and packing problems.

My great problem computationally, is that most of them grow way too fast for computer emulations to provide more than the vaguest hints as to structures that might emerge in the fullness of time and space.

Local organiser

Old Post 03-15-2011 01:09 PM
Tony Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Smith Click here to Send Tony Smith a Private Message Visit Tony Smith's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul C. Meehan
PCM Solutions Ltd
Dublin, Ireland

Re: Definitely related

Tony, interesting post thanks! Good to draw from the experience of someone who has already given thought to this type of view of NKS.

I had a whimsical thought that if you run something like Rule 110 long enough combinatorial structures might emerge in the output - much like order emerges from quantum randomness. Anyway enough of that!

Old Post 03-15-2011 08:27 PM
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives