wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > Discovered new growth pattern
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Marcus

Japan

Discovered new growth pattern

EDIT: Uploaded better version of the video that makes it more clear to see the pattern.

EDIT2: Here are some more videos of different starting conditions of the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGYngYQm1U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RFvXidBEE

I feel that I have come across something that possibly has not yet been discovered. I would like to confirm if what I have come across is actually something that would be considered something of worth.

I have found a way to create patterns (some fractal) that doesn't just simply create a solid pattern. It fluctuates through a set of patterns that recreate themselves over and over again, getting larger as they go. I wrote a program that uses only two simple 2 dimensional rules to create this effect. It is similar to cell automata but not like any type of rules I have seen. I won't go into details over the rules just yet though. (I don't want anyone taking the idea.)

Please take a look at this video (re-uploaded with new easier to see version): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIg-dLFkJxE

Let me know what you think. It is a video of my rules in work through a program I wrote in C++. I have searched all over and haven't found anything like this anywhere and am wondering if it is a new and unique way of creating such an effect. The video starts with a one pixel move causing a chain reaction to create the effect.

You'll notice in the video, a Sierpinski Triangle is formed within the pattern as it grows. This is the first fractal I noticed this program produced. Depending on the starting conditions, many other patterns are possible, but I thought the Sierpinski Triangle was the most interesting.

Is this type of pattern growth new or is there anything like it elsewhere?

Last edited by Marcus on 07-05-2010 at 02:24 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-04-2009 08:36 AM
Marcus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus Click here to Send Marcus a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stratford

I think that this pattern is very well then other. this is very groth pattern and useful .

Old Post 12-02-2009 03:49 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marcus

Japan

Thanks for your message.

I just hope everyone understands that this is not normal cellular automata. I know there are ways to get this kind of pattern with certain rules, but this has nothing to do with them. Which is why I think it is new.

No dots are created and no dots are destroyed. All they do is bump into each other according to a simple rule I came up with.

If you look at how it starts, you'll notice that it eventually starts itself the exact same way at other places on the screen that combine with the original to naturally create the larger effect which goes on forever.

Old Post 01-16-2010 01:16 PM
Marcus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus Click here to Send Marcus a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmd

Thank you for this wonderful explanation , nice post

Old Post 07-05-2010 09:15 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marcus

Japan

Thanks for your comment.

Here is another example of the process in action. It uses the same rule, just with a slightly different starting condition. This actually uses the most simple starting condition you can have, so I guess it could be the base pattern.

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGYngYQm1U

No matter what starting condition you use, it will create a unique fractal pattern that fluctuates and grows.

The more it grows, the more intricate each generation becomes. Each generation is a more intricate version of the previous.

Also, don't forget to check out the same processes used inside a hexagon based formula (the other ones are square based).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RFvXidBEE

Notice how the patterns create themselves and then recreate themselves on larger and more intricate scales as they evolve. The pattern itself is a fractal and the process itself is a fractal. They both creates themselves.

Old Post 07-05-2010 02:22 PM
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives