wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > How to solve a CA with algebra
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
alan2here

How to solve a CA with algebra

I'm not sure if this is my method or an obvious algebraic method or even if it definitely works but here goes.

It's based on something similar I did for Minesweeper that did work, inspired by something I read online about suprisingly long distance behaviour in certain Minesweeper configuations.

Start with a simple example from WireWorld.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/WireWorld.html
An amazing CA, LifeLike and Generations CA's should work in a simerlar way though.

Lets say for simplicity:

According to the rules of WireWorld this will progress as so.

As the signal travels down the wire

First create (a map?) for each state that changes.

All

State 1

State 2

And assign letters to each cell in each map.

All
abc
def
ghi

State 1
rst
uvw
xyz

State 2
ABC
DEF
GHI

Construct the formuli

(I'm using square brackets here to represent subscript as I don't know how to do that formatting in the forum)

a[0] = 0
I[0] = 0

Skip a to i for this next part.

r[n] = (0 < s[n-1] + u[n-1] + v[n-1] < 3)
I...

Now you can rearange the equation to ask questions like for example, does this cell EVER become state 1 or what are all the possiblilites for the previous generation that could lead to this one.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-27-2009 09:02 PM
alan2here is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alan2here Visit alan2here's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives