wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > Gravity - A different concept
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reconnect
Atomic Operations
UK

My definitions where copied and pasted from www.dictionary.com.

I came here to talk about the nature of gravity you pretentious twat.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-04-2008 09:23 AM
Reconnect is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reconnect Click here to Send Reconnect a Private Message Click Here to Email Reconnect Visit Reconnect's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomjones

In other words you're dumb and uncultured...

Congrats you and Mike Helland should talk you're both amateur thinkers. Can wannabe philosophers... join the club of the many and the uninformed...

If the best insult you can level is name calling then there is no intellectual value to be had here. Not having time to deal with fools like yourself and foolish, false ideas, not being science and not being worthy of informed intellectual conversation.

You came here to talk about gravity, ha, not knowing the first thing about gravity how is that possible. Oh yes the pretense of knowing what you're talking about, or in other words as I said, an amateur thinker.

Thanks, your mightily easy to irritate, I would destroy you in formal debate.... you not having the stomach for such endeavors...

Old Post 01-04-2008 11:30 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reconnect
Atomic Operations
UK

I am clearly an ignoramus who has failed to realise the fullness of your sublime magnificence, you are incredibly sophisticated and clearly very professional.

This has been a greatly enriching experience, thank you, thank you very much.

Old Post 01-04-2008 12:39 PM
Reconnect is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reconnect Click here to Send Reconnect a Private Message Click Here to Email Reconnect Visit Reconnect's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomjones

Clearly you are, though you didn't mean it, though your sarcasm is delightful, you have only yourself to blame.

A fool to the last why do you bother responding, I clearly got under your skin, so what are you doing? A wise man would have walked away before your previous post. But as we discovered you are not wise, but a foolish amateur thinker.

I am glad you found this enriching I didn't but hey who knows what a fool will find enriching...

By your next post, we'll find the extent of your intellect, or lack of...

Enjoy, my little amateur thinker... don't worry this isn't personal you opened the door so I make fun of you. You're just bent out of shape, because I said your definitions are worthless and they still are but, hey think what you want, I don't care....

Bottoms up....

Old Post 01-04-2008 09:47 PM
tomjones

For anyone who is looking for cheap unscientific fun or conversation all you need to do is post replies to Mike Helland, or Reconnect, who seems to be Mike's partner in ignorance. They are amateur thinkers, meaning it was only in the last day or two that they started having thoughts, these thoughts have yet to show a spark of intellect. Its cheap and you'll get responses like this gem here:

"I came here to talk about the nature of gravity you pretentious twat."
-Reconnect

Precious ain't it...

Last edited by on 01-06-2008 at 01:12 AM

Old Post 01-04-2008 10:04 PM
Roger Kowalski
IBI
Chicago, Illinois

Gravity and it's Solution

I want to add my idea of Gravity...
I am not a physicist...The spell-checker in Microsoft Word 2003 recognizes the names of many physicists, including Albert Einstein, Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrodinger, Richard Feynman and Subrehmanyan Chandrasekhar.. Here....
is what I propose about gravity...
I am a math major and computer science
major.. I celebrate 50 years of working
in these fields...in the year 2010....
I want to ask a question about
Gravity and Einstein... If Albert Einstein
the smartest man to live on this Earth
was not able to solve the Gravity
Problem... Who can????? For me
solving Gravity would be for all humans
to fly like birds... When that will happen
is anyone's guess... 500 Years from now..
20 Years from now.. Or...like Starwars
we fly around in spaceships at warp
speed... Proving we have solved
the theory of Gravity... But here is
my solution... Since we don't have
Einstein around and we don't expect another Einstein in another 500 years to be born...We do this.. We go back
in time to 1492 when Columbus sailed
the blue as the saying goes... We go
back to Spain.. We try to understand
the brilliant Mind of Columbus... And
every other great mind in each period
of our History on this earth....and here
is what we do... We build the smartest
android on this Planet... We find the
DNA of Columbus... We find the DNA
of Einstein... other great minds and
scientists that have lived on this earth...
We input the DNA of every plant,
animal, and person on this earth into
the Global Giant computer... We build
the smartest android : part man part
computer that has ever existed
on the Planet... All knowledge will have
been inputted into the android's brain..
and with that said....every ounce of
knowledge about Gravity will be fed
into the android... Of course the
android will look upon humans as
morons... what else would he think
or deduct... or summize??? I am
predicting the android will solve the
Gravity problem for Mother Earth...
once and for all... The android will have
taken terabyte logic loops about
the problem/solution paths... He
will come up with the answer....but..
I have not calculated a time frame..
as yet....
The android will then take on a super hero icon like Einstein... Maybe we
can give him the hairstyle of Einstein...
Dress the android in a special outfit...
Let the android be a professor at
Princeton ??? I am very serious about
this solution to solving the theory of
Gravity... I welcome all other ideas,
theories, suggestions... For I believe
we will never never never solve this
problem about Gravity unless we have
another super duper mind appearing on this earth...

Last edited by Roger Kowalski on 01-15-2009 at 02:42 AM

Old Post 01-15-2009 02:32 AM
Roger Kowalski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roger Kowalski Click here to Send Roger Kowalski a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alan
Alan Foos
Thailand

Re: Gravity - A different concept

You're post is very entertaining, so I couldn't help but join in. What always made me think of about a hole through the earth is what happens when you drop a ball into it. Of course, the "force" of gravity will diminish as it approaches the center, but after continuing to gain speed, after passing center the bulk of the mass causing gravitational force will be slowing it down as it approaches the other side of the planet surface. The question is, assuming the false ideal, that there is NO friction involved, will the ball continue indefinitely to swing back and forth from one surface of the globe and the other? :) I think so...

Alan - http://foossolvesunified.com

Originally posted by Ryan Flanders
What if the world had a big hole that went clear through the center all the way to the other side? Suppose you dropped a bowling ball into the hole. What would happen?

This is the idea that prompted me to ponder the mysterious wonder of GRAVITY. Actually that was the second question to come to my mind…spawned by the events following:

While at work one hazy day, I was looking out of my 5th floor window over the roof top of a level below me. The contractors that built the place had placed rocks, about half the size of golf balls, all over the top of the roof... I’ve seen this done before on roofs and to this day don’t understand what it is for…but none the less I was sort of in a “I’ve been thinking to much” daze staring out the window at the rocks. I noticed some of the rocks apart from the others, scattered about on sort of a ledge. Then I started thinking…Here, five stories above the earth, the rock and I were just sitting there…Stopped from falling to the earth by the solid building beneath. If the building were to suddenly vanish, our existence would turn into a chaos of whirling wind for a few split seconds and then sudden impact with the planet. Bad for me more so than the rock of course, but it is just that thought that got me going. What the heck is Gravity?

What is the force that attracts us to the earth? Is it indeed a pull? Or, is it a push? That is when the second thought came into my mind. What if there was a hole clear through the center of the earth...how would something react falling through the hole? Would it fall half way and stop in the middle? I don’t think it would go through and come out the other side. Or would the hole totally negate the earth’s gravitational force? Think about this a minute or two…it kind of twists your mind a bit.

What is going on for everything, including the earth, to be in such a race to go inward? Everything I know of, with the exception of helium (and other gases), is attracted to the center of our great and wonderful planet. And it seems the greater the density the stronger this force becomes. Why?

If I were to build a giant sphere in space, out of plastic, the size of our moon or earth…would it have its own gravitational force? Or does it have to be made out of rock and dirt? If it does have its own force, what caused it? I didn’t add anything special to the plastic to give it gravity.

That idea started me to thinking about just what gravity is. If I don’t have to add anything but mass and density to get gravity what is causing the attraction or inward push? Could it be that I’ve taken up space. Just as if you were to introduce a sphere into water, it would move the water out and away…but when you remove the sphere from the water, the water takes back the space that was occupied by the sphere. I think that is what is happening with space. Even if it is space it has its own place in space. It wants the space back. So it pushes inward on the mass and everything around it trying to re-occupy the space that was invaded by the mass.

There you have it…my basic concept on gravity. It’s the force of Space that has been occupied by mass trying to reclaim itself against the mass. This force is relatively weak on a small scale, but grows more and more powerful the bigger the mass gets.

Think of it as placing a large ball inside a smaller balloon that has not been blown up. You would have to stretch the balloon over the ball. The rubber would squeeze anything between it and the ball trying desperately to get back to its original shape. That is what is happening in space. The earth is taking up space and the space that has been squeezed out of shape is pushing in to reclaim its original shape and space.

Einstein himself theorized that time and space is warped by gravity. But I think time and space are warped by mass. If you look at a visual model of Einstein’s theory of this warping of space, it is always shown as if the world is like a heavy ball laying on a piece of fabric…bending the fabric down warping space and time. Think of this same visual…but this time there is another piece of fabric on top of the other and the ball is moving in between the fabrics. Space would cover the ball all around…not just under the ball…bending space and time around the ball.

It is mass that is distorting time and space caused by the force of space trying to re-occupy its rightful space against mass. Which is what is known as gravity.

Notes:

There is a reference above stating that Einstein himself theorized time and space is warped by gravity... I'm not exactly sure that is truly what he theorized. He may have said that Mass is what warps time and space. And with this I agree. It is the gravitational effect that I believe actually warps space/time.

I need to state, as you will probably surmise that I am not a scientist and have no degree in science other than computer science. So my statements are what I believe to be the possible cause of gravity based on my own reasonable and layman deductions. I welcome all comments.

And by the way…I think that if there were a hole, completely through the center of the earth, that gravity would then push in on the exposed earth throughout the center…meaning one would be able to then walk to china…in a spiral.

Old Post 01-26-2009 08:43 AM
Alan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alan Click here to Send Alan a Private Message Visit Alan's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alan
Alan Foos
Thailand

Re: Gravity - A different concept

You're post is very entertaining, so I couldn't help but join in. What always made me think of about a hole through the earth is what happens when you drop a ball into it. Of course, the "force" of gravity will diminish as it approaches the center, but after continuing to gain speed, after passing center the bulk of the mass causing gravitational force will be slowing it down as it approaches the other side of the planet surface. The question is, assuming the false ideal, that there is NO friction involved, will the ball continue indefinitely to swing back and forth from one surface of the globe and the other? :) I think so...

Alan - http://foossolvesunified.com

Originally posted by Ryan Flanders
What if the world had a big hole that went clear through the center all the way to the other side? Suppose you dropped a bowling ball into the hole. What would happen?

This is the idea that prompted me to ponder the mysterious wonder of GRAVITY. Actually that was the second question to come to my mind…spawned by the events following:

While at work one hazy day, I was looking out of my 5th floor window over the roof top of a level below me. The contractors that built the place had placed rocks, about half the size of golf balls, all over the top of the roof... I’ve seen this done before on roofs and to this day don’t understand what it is for…but none the less I was sort of in a “I’ve been thinking to much” daze staring out the window at the rocks. I noticed some of the rocks apart from the others, scattered about on sort of a ledge. Then I started thinking…Here, five stories above the earth, the rock and I were just sitting there…Stopped from falling to the earth by the solid building beneath. If the building were to suddenly vanish, our existence would turn into a chaos of whirling wind for a few split seconds and then sudden impact with the planet. Bad for me more so than the rock of course, but it is just that thought that got me going. What the heck is Gravity?

What is the force that attracts us to the earth? Is it indeed a pull? Or, is it a push? That is when the second thought came into my mind. What if there was a hole clear through the center of the earth...how would something react falling through the hole? Would it fall half way and stop in the middle? I don’t think it would go through and come out the other side. Or would the hole totally negate the earth’s gravitational force? Think about this a minute or two…it kind of twists your mind a bit.

What is going on for everything, including the earth, to be in such a race to go inward? Everything I know of, with the exception of helium (and other gases), is attracted to the center of our great and wonderful planet. And it seems the greater the density the stronger this force becomes. Why?

If I were to build a giant sphere in space, out of plastic, the size of our moon or earth…would it have its own gravitational force? Or does it have to be made out of rock and dirt? If it does have its own force, what caused it? I didn’t add anything special to the plastic to give it gravity.

That idea started me to thinking about just what gravity is. If I don’t have to add anything but mass and density to get gravity what is causing the attraction or inward push? Could it be that I’ve taken up space. Just as if you were to introduce a sphere into water, it would move the water out and away…but when you remove the sphere from the water, the water takes back the space that was occupied by the sphere. I think that is what is happening with space. Even if it is space it has its own place in space. It wants the space back. So it pushes inward on the mass and everything around it trying to re-occupy the space that was invaded by the mass.

There you have it…my basic concept on gravity. It’s the force of Space that has been occupied by mass trying to reclaim itself against the mass. This force is relatively weak on a small scale, but grows more and more powerful the bigger the mass gets.

Think of it as placing a large ball inside a smaller balloon that has not been blown up. You would have to stretch the balloon over the ball. The rubber would squeeze anything between it and the ball trying desperately to get back to its original shape. That is what is happening in space. The earth is taking up space and the space that has been squeezed out of shape is pushing in to reclaim its original shape and space.

Einstein himself theorized that time and space is warped by gravity. But I think time and space are warped by mass. If you look at a visual model of Einstein’s theory of this warping of space, it is always shown as if the world is like a heavy ball laying on a piece of fabric…bending the fabric down warping space and time. Think of this same visual…but this time there is another piece of fabric on top of the other and the ball is moving in between the fabrics. Space would cover the ball all around…not just under the ball…bending space and time around the ball.

It is mass that is distorting time and space caused by the force of space trying to re-occupy its rightful space against mass. Which is what is known as gravity.

Notes:

There is a reference above stating that Einstein himself theorized time and space is warped by gravity... I'm not exactly sure that is truly what he theorized. He may have said that Mass is what warps time and space. And with this I agree. It is the gravitational effect that I believe actually warps space/time.

I need to state, as you will probably surmise that I am not a scientist and have no degree in science other than computer science. So my statements are what I believe to be the possible cause of gravity based on my own reasonable and layman deductions. I welcome all comments.

And by the way…I think that if there were a hole, completely through the center of the earth, that gravity would then push in on the exposed earth throughout the center…meaning one would be able to then walk to china…in a spiral.

Old Post 01-26-2009 10:56 AM
Alan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alan Click here to Send Alan a Private Message Visit Alan's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roger Kowalski
IBI
Chicago, Illinois

A Hole in the Earth

I like your analysis of gravity...How long
would it take to start making a hole
in the earth.. 5,000 miles to the
center and another 5,000 to the exit..
20 miles a day... It might get tough
when u got to the center of the Earth...
We might have to bypass the center
by about 1000 miles... Going thru hot
liquid lava mass might be tough...
Maybe we could invent a tube that
would withstand the heat...and...
walh.la...we get thru.... I like the
theory though... I was also thinking
the next best solution... If people from
outer space came and told us the solution....
If mind exists out there...in whatever
being....beings out there for millions of
years already.... Why hasn't an
advanced civilization contacted us...
Or have they....Hhahahah lol...
I still cannot believe we are the only
beings in the Universe.... The one
thing I am afraid of are Black Holes
just sucking Earth back into the far reaches of the universe...
Not for 500,000 years???? Or
the galaxies merging???? The
shows on Discovery are starting to
worry me... About Mother Earth
surviving???? These guys can
make all sorts of predictions....
they know nobody will be around
to disprove them....Like a million
years from now.... So we believe
them and get worried????
How funny....

Old Post 01-26-2009 03:43 PM
Roger Kowalski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roger Kowalski Click here to Send Roger Kowalski a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alan
Alan Foos
Thailand

Re: A Hole in the Earth

Thanks for the contribution. If you ever have time I really think you'd enjoy my Unified Field paper at my web site. I get a little wry sometimes at the risk of some who think the endeavor is not serious, but it's very serious and I have no doubts it is entirely (excepting trivial slips) correct. Einstein was a mess, come on. Anyway, of course we're all headed for our own local black hole. Another 6 billion years? Who knows. My personal favorite quip was on the invention of a term analagous to the mole (Avogadro's number) for expressing the numbers of galaxies, called the uawhole (or uahole for the black holes at their centers). This is digression to wry, of course. Then the issue of whether or not the universe is finite and has a center of mass? Of course, the only question is, "does the mother of all black holes coincide with the center of universal mass." Government agencies, I think! So, I've been criticized for a flippant attitude which will cost me the Nobel prize. Oh, God, I don't need a Nobel prize, and a complete lack of interest reflects my satisfaction in the greatest likelihood that I've found the right answers! :) But I do welcome criticism and light discussion, so... thanks again, Alan Foos (I have a tiny section discussing life beyond the black hole). :)
http://foossolvesunified.com

Originally posted by Roger Kowalski
I like your analysis of gravity...How long
would it take to start making a hole
in the earth.. 5,000 miles to the
center and another 5,000 to the exit..
20 miles a day... It might get tough
when u got to the center of the Earth...
We might have to bypass the center
by about 1000 miles... Going thru hot
liquid lava mass might be tough...
Maybe we could invent a tube that
would withstand the heat...and...
walh.la...we get thru.... I like the
theory though... I was also thinking
the next best solution... If people from
outer space came and told us the solution....
If mind exists out there...in whatever
being....beings out there for millions of
years already.... Why hasn't an
advanced civilization contacted us...
Or have they....Hhahahah lol...
I still cannot believe we are the only
beings in the Universe.... The one
thing I am afraid of are Black Holes
just sucking Earth back into the far reaches of the universe...
Not for 500,000 years???? Or
the galaxies merging???? The
shows on Discovery are starting to
worry me... About Mother Earth
surviving???? These guys can
make all sorts of predictions....
they know nobody will be around
to disprove them....Like a million
years from now.... So we believe
them and get worried????
How funny....

Old Post 01-27-2009 12:23 AM
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives