wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > Cellular automata 1D: applications
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Gledson Melotti

Brasil

Cellular automata 1D: applications

Hello, I'm starting studies cellular automata of one dimension. I'm finding several articles on the subject, but I wish that someone could provide me with practical examples of cellular automaton of a dimension, as in technology or in physical and biological systems. Not only can say that can be applied in this area, I would like an explanation for such examples. If you have articles, please send me some. A hug to everyone.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-04-2008 10:20 PM
Gledson Melotti is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gledson Melotti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Cawley
Wolfram Science Group
Phoenix, AZ USA

1D CAs are used for some real world models, notably simple models of traffic and traffic jams. The simplest example of this is elementary CA rule 84, which shows density-dependent congestion effects, which propogate backward to the direction of motion in a realistic way, eventually sorting out to allow all "particles" to move at their allowed speed to the right. Y

ou can start from that situation (deterministic, only 2 colors) and add additional realistic bits (varying speeds, probabilities, etc) to get reasonable models of the effects of congestion on traffic patterns.

There are also plenty of simple physical problems that contain enough symmetries or simplifications that they can effectively be modeled in a reduced number of dimensions. Diffusion can be modeled in 1D for instance, using a gray level to track a local concentration.

There are many more applications in 2D, including fluid flow models, models of drainage over a surface (with a field of values at each location effectively measuring a third dimension, but not requiring that to extend off the surface), grain boundaries (surface tension effects), terrain and ecological models, etc.

I hope this helps.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-05-2008 06:31 PM
Jason Cawley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Cawley Click here to Send Jason Cawley a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives