wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > NKS Way of Thinking > Is computation subject to relativistic effects?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

Is computation subject to relativistic effects?

When we talk about computation in general do we care about speed in explicit terms of time? I am not talking about algorithmic "times" such as "linear time", "log time", etc..

We have all read about the traveling clock in relativity theory. If the two clocks in said relativist experiment are mechanical computers (let us say Charles Babagge built them) and they are "programmed" to track time then why can we not say that the clock is actually just performing an unending computation? Does this imply that computation itself can be viewed as being relative? In other words, is computation subject to relativist effects? The clock after all is displaying the result of the computation.

If yes then what does this mean in terms of NKS?

PS: "time" as computer program or computation sounds so trivial but consider how many times you have utilized a Timer object in any of your software development endeavors.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-02-2008 05:36 AM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives