wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > CA & Object labeling
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Martijn

Amsterdam

CA & Object labeling

Hi all,

There is a simple way to label connected structures using a "CA". For a binary N dimensional image, just uniquely label all non zero pixels (for example enumerate them). Then consider the first order N dimensional von Neumann area.

If center =0 ->0
Else Max[]

It is not as fast as some of the object labeling algorithms but it is relatively memory efficient as it douse not use a connectivity matrix. (which can be large for higher dimensions)

My idea was to use this to investigate structures in higher dimensional CA to see if there are "stable structures" that only exist in a sub set of the dimensions.

Alternatively, I think it is also possible to try more complicated rules to detect "particles".

Unfortunately, I have no time for this now. If any one is interested feel free explore this.

If any one is really interested I could write a quick 1-2 page pdf lining out the idea and indicating a workable implementation.

Have fun!

PS: The idea behind the labeling is to identify interesting CA before diving in to an in depth study of the possible property of its rules.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-24-2008 08:28 PM
Martijn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martijn Click here to Send Martijn a Private Message Click Here to Email Martijn Visit Martijn's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives