wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > News & Announcements > 2008 Midwest Conference?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Garrett Neske
NYU
New York

2008 Midwest Conference?

I recall at last year's conference in Burlington an announcement for a conference similar to the Midwest conference in 2005. Are there still plans for such a conference? If so, where can one find information on registration/submissions? Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-24-2008 04:21 AM
Garrett Neske is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Garrett Neske Click here to Send Garrett Neske a Private Message Click Here to Email Garrett Neske Visit Garrett Neske's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alastair Hewitt
Harvard Extension School
Cambridge, MA

Adrian German made an announcement at last year's NKS conference - http://www.wolframscience.com/confe...rmanRndTbl.html

I also found the attached...

Attachment: poster-draft.pdf
This has been downloaded 902 time(s).

Old Post 06-27-2008 03:18 PM
Alastair Hewitt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alastair Hewitt Click here to Send Alastair Hewitt a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adrian German
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN

2008 Midwest NKS Conference

I would like to confirm that preparations for the 2008 Midwest NKS Conference are now extremely advanced and that in fact travel arrangements (booking of air plane tickets, hotel rooms and such) for our distinguished guests will start next week. I can't really make a final, definitive announcement at this stage but you can and should expect a formal announcement with a call for papers to be posted on this forum in less than a week by either Hector Zenil or me.

The draft poster that Alastair linked to is quite accurate. Gregory Chaitin, Martin Davis, Tony Leggett, James Gleick, Cristian Calude and Stephen Wolfram have all confirmed their presence in Bloomington for the conference. David Deutsch will give a talk via videolink from Oxford. I spoke with Roger Penrose when he visited Bloomington two months ago and at that time he was interested in giving a videolecture from Oxford and it is my understanding that he still is. But prior commitments appear to be taking him out of Oxford the weekend of the conference so his videotalk is now unlikely. Hector has received promising responses from Dana Scott, Leonid Levin and Ed Fredkin. Charles Bennett may participate via videolink twice in the conference: once to give a talk and once taking part in the round table that will be moderated by James Gleick assisted by Gerardo Ortiz, Hector Zenil and hopefully Colin Bruce. Invitations have also been sent to Anton Zeilinger, Marvin Minsky, Seth Lloyd, Per Martin Loef, William Bialek and Gary William Flake. We will be able to make an announcement in a few days. There is no website for the conference yet but one will be set up shortly then the official announcement and call for papers will be released.

Thanks for your interest and apologies for the relative slowness with which we have moved but we hope that in the end everybody will be pleased with the result. All the best to everybody, and we will be in touch again soon,

Sincerely,
Adrian German

Old Post 07-02-2008 10:55 PM
Adrian German is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adrian German Click here to Send Adrian German a Private Message Click Here to Email Adrian German Visit Adrian German's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives