wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > NKS Way of Thinking > Consciousness, the border of the universe..
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MikeHelland

Since you're going to be so demanding:

Consciousness is the border of the reality.

This has been known for thousands and thousands years.

Ever heard of the Tao? The Hebrew Bible?

Ok.

So now that you've gotten the confirmitive response to your thread:

where are your comments in my thread?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-06-2007 10:02 AM
MikeHelland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHelland Click here to Send MikeHelland a Private Message Visit MikeHelland's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AdamL

Things

Can't "things" exist before and after consciousness? Isn't consciousness a specific complex outcome of a system that is real, beyond ourselves? Isn't a consciousness merely a part of the whole?

NKS says for example, that consciousness or will would have been retained because it is the easiest way to predict the outcome of a system. In other words, it is a new way of moving. It invests the random order with a direction, in this case early on one of self-preservation and proliferation, because that is simply the best way to ensure that those things happen. Unconscious, undirected beings, are less efficient in serving their own being than directed beings. Therefore, directed beings are retained.

Old Post 09-06-2007 07:03 PM
AdamL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AdamL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeHelland

Re: Things

Originally posted by AdamL
Can't "things" exist before and after consciousness?

Yes. But a different kind of exist.

Isn't consciousness a specific complex outcome of a system that is real, beyond ourselves?

But a different kind of real.

Isn't a consciousness merely a part of the whole?

Consciousness is like the bridge between your reality and absolute reality.

These are very old teachings in most cultural heritages.

When you pass the bridge, that which was something, becomes nothing. And that which was nothing becomes something.

Last edited by MikeHelland on 09-07-2007 at 05:46 AM

Old Post 09-07-2007 05:32 AM
MikeHelland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHelland Click here to Send MikeHelland a Private Message Visit MikeHelland's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rudeonline

Re: Re: Things

Originally posted by MikeHelland
Yes. But a different kind of exist.

But a different kind of real.

Consciousness is like the bridge between your reality and absolute reality.

These are very old teachings in most cultural heritages.

When you pass the bridge, that which was something, becomes nothing. And that which was nothing becomes something.

So, the statement I make "conscoiusness, the edge of the universe" is not so weird.

The only things that are real in the universe are the things that happen. Something that does not happen, does not exist.

Yesterday, does not exist anymore, so yesterday does not need any kind of space.

The future does not exist, so there is no time and space in the future. Yhe only thing wat is real is the "now".

All we see is in fact an picture in your brain. Your brain give's you the idea of the space arround you.

In my opinion is everything arround me just an option for my own future, this count's also for you and any orher observer

By moving myself into a direction I create some kind of future,
The places I never will visit will never take place.
The space and time of the thing I never will do, will never exist.

The only real thing is reallity, only reality needs time and space to exist.

Old Post 09-07-2007 10:12 AM
rudeonline is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rudeonline Click here to Send rudeonline a Private Message Click Here to Email rudeonline Visit rudeonline's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AdamL

I guess I don't understand the reason for believing in the primacy of consciousness. The very best argument I read for it was found in "The Physics of Consciousness" but I am not a physicist and so my evaluation of that is not very well informed.

But NKS seems to me to be at least an alternative to that. Because it contends to explain quantum phenomenon in a way that doesn't require consciousness for wave form collapse. It restores the primacy of reality. Or no?

Really confused,

Adam

edit - sorry I didn't see Jason's request...

Old Post 09-08-2007 10:22 AM
AdamL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AdamL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeHelland

Originally posted by AdamL

But NKS seems to me to be at least an alternative to that. Because it contends to explain quantum phenomenon in a way that doesn't require consciousness for wave form collapse. It restores the primacy of reality. Or no?

I don't think so.

This is my favorite topic to discuss and contemplate, and I don't see how NKS itself lends itself to that topic.

On the other hand, I think that an NKS approach will be used in combination with a few other insights, and breath new life into the topic.

As for the "primacy" of consciousness, I think we are saying mind is more fundamental than matter; but that doesn't mean it is most fundamental.

I can't explain it to you, but I may be able to help you down a path where you may explain it to yourself.

The first step is answering this question:

What is reality?

Old Post 09-08-2007 12:02 PM
rudeonline

Let me try..

Reality is all what really happens. The only reality is your own "now". Past and future does not really exist. Like yesterday is gone and tomorow will come. How tomorow will look depends for a big part on yourself.

Old Post 11-12-2007 11:53 AM
rudeonline is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rudeonline Click here to Send rudeonline a Private Message Click Here to Email rudeonline Visit rudeonline's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomjones

let me help you rudeonline by sharing this quote from Mike Helland with you:

"So my ideas have been trounced and exposed as utter garbage."

Mike Helland freely admits his ideas are garbage and thus I would not spend any time answering them.

Happy to save you some trouble...

Last edited by on 01-05-2008 at 06:54 PM

Old Post 01-05-2008 04:39 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeHelland

If you really felt I was beating a dead horse, you wouldn't be posting in these dead threads.

Old Post 01-06-2008 03:19 AM
tomjones

"So my ideas have been trounced and exposed as utter garbage."
-Mike Helland

option a:
"If you really felt I was beating a dead horse, you wouldn't be posting in these dead threads."

option b:
discredit you on the forum so nobody bothers responding to you ever again on this forum

option best option and my option

Its my automatic Mike Helland response you like it?

Old Post 01-06-2008 03:51 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ask

Motion depends on force.

Moving speed can not surpass force speed.

We accelerate things by electromagnetic force.

EM waves travel at speed C. That's the highest force speed we know so far.

So that's our possible speed limit so far.

Am I have a point?

Old Post 02-28-2008 10:20 PM
ask is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ask Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rudeonline

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=chKxcXMAxss

I made a few animation's.. maybe you get my idea after watching them...

Old Post 06-15-2008 01:49 PM
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives