wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > NKS Way of Thinking > Fractal Turing Machines
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yottzumm

Fractal Turing Machines

So what If I had a Turing machine, that instead of going left and right by one symbol, went left and right by a fractional amount, such that under the read/write head, there were two partial symbols instead of a full symbol. Let's call this a fractal turing machine. Isn't this how the real world works? Isn't a classical Turing machine something that's made up, and not based on reality? It's just that we've discovered these thing called transistors that allow us to think in digital ways.

Thinking about a Turing machine in terms of cellular automata, I might imagine a single symbol being replaced by 2 symbols, and so on (quadtrees, octrees etc). This would be another kind of fractal Turing machine.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-06-2008 11:52 PM
yottzumm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yottzumm Visit yottzumm's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yottzumm

Zeno's Paradox may apply

This sounds like Zeno's Paradox to me! So Zeno's paradox applies to computability!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2008 01:02 AM
yottzumm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yottzumm Visit yottzumm's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives