wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Applied NKS > Bio-engineer @ summer school?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jan_Bel
Ghent University
Ghent, Belgium

Bio-engineer @ summer school?

Hey all,

Currently, I'm working as a research and teaching assistant at the Department of Applied Mathematics, Biometrics and Process Control, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent Unveristy and I'm considering to apply for the NKS summer school 2008 at the University of Vermont.

Due to my educational background as bio-engineer in soil and water managment I'm most of all interested in the applications of cellular automata for applied biology modeling (soil-water interaction, epidemic models,... ) rather than the pure in depth study of them.

I would like to know if you think the summer school would be an interesting starting point for research in the field of applied cellular automata.

Kind regards,

Jan Baetens

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-29-2008 07:41 AM
Jan_Bel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jan_Bel Visit Jan_Bel's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Rowland
Wolfram Research
Maryland

The short answer is yes.

The main purpose of the summer school is to get people like you started.

The participants at the summer school come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and have also a wide variety of interests. Some students are just starting their research, some are at some sort of midway point, while a few others have already had many years of experience.

We make sure that the student's problem is a good match. For some students, especially those with a suitable background, this means an applied problem in their field.

At the same time, the lectures provide a solid foundation.

Todd Rowland
Academic Director
NKS Summer School

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-29-2008 12:16 PM
Todd Rowland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Rowland Click here to Send Todd Rowland a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Rowland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives