wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > Particle System
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Michael Colson
Stanly Community College

Particle System

I was looking at some 2d CAs that seem to make explosions and I was wondering if a CA whose elements are treated as point sprites could make a good particle system for video games, or if they are not really suited for that kind of use. What about amount of computation? Are they more computationally intensive than other particle systems?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-2007 07:26 PM
Michael Colson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Michael Colson Click here to Send Michael Colson a Private Message Click Here to Email Michael Colson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jesse Nochella
WRI

I am not sure. That's a good question, and I've happened to wonder that myself.

For a 3D system I would suspect that a dense array would not be very efficient. I have seen, however, very fast custom implementations of CA's, notably a java applet that can be found at http://www.ibiblio.org/lifepatterns/ . This is obviously doing a little something extra.

One possibility is to use a cellular automaton to compute coordinates that are of a different character from the obvious three-dimensional form we would associate it with. So for instance, the outer edge of a cellular automaton that grows like a crystal in an irregular manner could be used to approximate the locations of particles simulating billowing smoke, maybe, and would be randomized enough to hide the fact that it was computed on a cubic lattice.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-03-2007 03:07 AM
Jesse Nochella is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Nochella Click here to Send Jesse Nochella a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives