wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > alternate layout centered about a single seed cell
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

alternate layout centered about a single seed cell

I wanted to play around with alternating layouts for the elementary CA rules. The idea I had would be to use a single cell for the seed. Apply the rule once and layout the output on one "side" (top or bottom) of the previous step's output. Going about in an alternate fashion, one might find interesting patterns. I did this with rule 90 in the attached .gif file.

I am sure the mathematica code would be simple to write if you have mathematica. It would be fun to see a few runs from each of the elementary rules.

If someone out there is up to the 10 minute challenge then please post your results.

Philip Ronald Dutton has attached this image:

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-18-2006 10:08 PM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jesse Nochella
WRI

apply this function to the output:

alternateLayout[output_] :=
Flatten[Reverse@{#[[1]], Reverse[#[[2]]]}, 1] &[
Transpose[Partition[output, 2]]]

Old Post 12-19-2006 08:41 PM
Jesse Nochella is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Nochella Click here to Send Jesse Nochella a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

applied

...Now, if only my trial version of Mathematica had not expired. Thanks for the feedback. I sure would like to see some pics.

Old Post 12-21-2006 08:46 PM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lawrence J. Thaden

alternateLayout[output_] := Flatten[Reverse@{#[[1]], Reverse[#[[2]]]},
1] &[Transpose[Partition[output, 2]]]

r90 = ArrayPlot[plotdata = CellularAutomaton[90, {{1},
0}, 128], PlotLabel -> "R 90"];

altr90 = ArrayPlot[alternateLayout[plotdata], PlotLabel -> "Alt R 90"];

SetDirectory["C:\\Documents and Settings\\Lawrence\\My \
Documents\\Mathematica"]

Show[GraphicsArray[{r90, altr90}], ImageSize -> 775];

Export["r90altr90.gif", %, First@AbsoluteOptions[%, ImageSize]]

Lawrence J. Thaden has attached this image:

Old Post 12-22-2006 01:51 AM
Lawrence J. Thaden is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lawrence J. Thaden Click here to Send Lawrence J. Thaden a Private Message Click Here to Email Lawrence J. Thaden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives