wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > Cellular Automata On Different Manifolds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Joshua
N/A
Chicago,IL

Cellular Automata On Different Manifolds

Have CA's been defined on Curved or manifolds with holes or holes? If they have could you give me some papers that reference this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-10-2006 02:20 AM
Joshua is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joshua Click here to Send Joshua a Private Message Click Here to Email Joshua Visit Joshua's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Rowland
Wolfram Research
Maryland

I am not aware of much NKS-style work done on different underlying spaces.

There are a few examples of CA's on other tesselations in the flat plane, such as the hexagonal and triangular tesselations. See, e.g., Carter Bays article in Complex Systems. The main example of another flat surface besides the plane is the cylinder.

CA's on curved spaces are most easily defined on tesselations. There are a few technical issues that arise in representing the data, which may not seem insurmountable. But when one considers the problem of visually representing the dynamics, it is much more difficult than the 2D plane. Consider also that the 2D plane is difficult to study in a rigorous manner because some boring behaviors look interesting in higher dimensions, compared to the 1D case.

The last difficulty I want to mention is the motivation. One might be interested to investigate some geometrical or topological consequences. This is a hard problem, but potentially useful.

I think it might be more interesting to investigate the interplay between the equations that underly the tesselation and the dynamics of the cellular automata. For instance, one has the cylinder where y^n+1==y.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-21-2006 07:26 PM
Todd Rowland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Rowland Click here to Send Todd Rowland a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Rowland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives