wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Pure NKS > Number Representations
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Keren Kapach

Number Representations

Hello All,

My name is Keren and I am a M.Sc student in IE, and nned to present the chapter about data compression in two weeks.

I read the chapter, and have a few questions about Number representations (Page 560).

I didn't quite understand how the length prefixed method works.
why 1 is 00? as far as i know 1 is one in binary base....

I also had problem understanding the binary-coded base 3. I Can't see how the numbers are coded that way.

I'll be happy to read your comments.

Regards,

Keren

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-06-2006 09:16 PM
Keren Kapach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keren Kapach Click here to Send Keren Kapach a Private Message Click Here to Email Keren Kapach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Cawley
Wolfram Science Group
Phoenix, AZ USA

There is a note that explains the details in Mathematica code terms, here -

http://www.wolframscience.com/nksonline/page-1070a-text

If that still leaves specific questions, feel free to ask again. I hope this helps.

Old Post 06-06-2006 10:29 PM
Jason Cawley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Cawley Click here to Send Jason Cawley a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keren Kapach

Thanks! but I still don't get it..

I read the notes few times.

Can you give me an example for encoding the number "5" in both methods?

in the Length prefixed method, "5" is encoded as 10010. I thought that it should start with an ordinary base 2 digit sequence?...

in the Binary-coded base 3 method, "5" is encoded as 000011.
according to the notes, I should take base 3 representation (12), then convert each digit to a pair of base 2 digits (0110), and then some special treatment to the begining and the end of the sequence.

I hope it is not too complicated, since it's not related directly to the data compression methods, but it would still be nice addition to my presentation.

Thanks again.

Keren

Old Post 06-07-2006 11:12 AM
Keren Kapach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keren Kapach Click here to Send Keren Kapach a Private Message Click Here to Email Keren Kapach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives