wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Applied NKS > Genetics Based Machine Learning and NKS
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ed Meier
Independent researcher
Springfield, OH

Genetics Based Machine Learning and NKS

I have continued my futile pursuit of finding the winning lotto numbers with NKS! I have written David Goldberg's Genetic Based Machine Learning (GBML) system as the application framework (superstructure) for my NKS generator. This system learns which NKS rules to use to predict lotto numbers.

The GBML by David Goldberg is from his seminal work "Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning" (1987). As part of the GBML system he includes a "bucket brigade flag" algorithm which allows one rule to be rewarded from the next rule that was used. In other words, it rewards previous rules so as to build a chain of rules to get the desired solution.

Unfortunately there was no application for this idea. It was a piece of technology with no real need. Still it was fascinating enough to remember.

Then when I met with partial success in my lotto number search project (See the "Beating the Lotto" thread.) I realized that what I needed to do with this NKS search was to linearly connect the cellular automata rules to find the right sequence to predict the lotto numbers. Goldberg's GBML bucket brigade system was exactly what I needed.

This system is entirely written in Java (J2SE). If allowed, I will share the source code with those interested.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2004 12:16 AM
Ed Meier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Meier Click here to Send Ed Meier a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Meier
Independent researcher
Springfield, OH

The GBML Lotto search using NKS

Here it is! While it is not completed yet, I am sharing this because I did make an NKS "discovery". To make this work I had to broaden the NKS patterns of 1s and 0s to match as many other bit strings as possible. I needed to use don't-care bits. But I did not want to just create random bit strings with randomly placed don't-care bits. That would have led to a random search for random numbers, a waste of electricity.

Instead I mated a random string of 1s and 0s to a specific rule. Then I flipped each bit in the string one at a time and re-applied the NKS rule to the string. If the output was the same, then that bit that was flipped was a don't-care bit. It's value, 1 or 0, did not affect the outcome of the NKS rule. The bit could be 1 or 0. The NKS rule would generate the same output bits.

The special situation of side-by-side don't-care bits is also handled gracefully. This includes handling of three or more don't-care bits in a row. Which suprisingly is handled perfectly by creating only two different output strings. As long as the don't-care bits are separated by at least one defined bit, everything works fine. This is explained in more detail in the source code documentation and the readme file.

Have fun with this. Let me know if your experiments have any good results. I will be continuing to pursue this also. It's fun.

Attachment: gbmllottover1.zip
This has been downloaded 2282 time(s).

Old Post 12-26-2004 09:53 PM
Ed Meier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Meier Click here to Send Ed Meier a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Da80th

hi Ed Meier,

I am interest in testing your lotto program but I am not familiar with Java. Is there a GUI base program that I can run on my pc?

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Old Post 04-12-2006 01:37 AM
Da80th is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Da80th Click here to Send Da80th a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alex001

re

Ed applied genetics-based machine learning to search for the proper sequence of CA rules to find a specific output bit string.

Old Post 02-16-2013 10:22 AM
Alex001 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alex001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives