wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Applied NKS > CA Hardware implementation
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KaL

CA Hardware implementation

I'm working on an application of CAs in cryptography (but not the '86 Wolfram's one). The symmetric version is working, and the asymmetric one is on its way (working on paper, at least..)
I was wondering if a hardware device is already existing to do CA computations. I read something about an old IBM card called CAM-6, but it seems to be too old.
Does anybody know devices of this kind ?

Thank you.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-06-2005 09:34 PM
KaL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KaL Click here to Send KaL a Private Message Click Here to Email KaL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

YES: you can use an FPGA

What are those things called?? uhm...oh yes: reconfigurable chips

Reconfigurable computing... that is the search you are looking for. The chips are a bit pricey but you could easily use it for CA fun.

Old Post 12-08-2005 08:55 PM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KaL

Thank you for enlighting my way.

Old Post 12-08-2005 09:44 PM
KaL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KaL Click here to Send KaL a Private Message Click Here to Email KaL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

FPGA Help

I have "inherited" an FPGA on a PCI board. I thought about configuring this chip as a CA. Has anyone done this? It might be fun.

Old Post 12-09-2005 06:12 PM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KaL

Yeah it could be fun. Anyway, as I'm a total newbie in FPGA, does anybody know an already done FPGA implementation of CA ?

Thanks.

Old Post 01-03-2006 01:32 PM
mohab usama
Computer Engineering - ASU
Cairo

well, iam working on the same topic too (as a graduation project), but on a stream cipher (wolfram's).

FPGA is a good solution, but as mentioned it is pricey and will take so much time to get a final product (FPGA running).
As you will need to write the VHDL code,Simulate your circuit, Synthesis your design and configuring your FPGA.

Another point, designing a CA machine will be easy (you can write VHDL code as if you were writing a High Level language), but it will take very small space in the FPGA, so there will be 1000s of unused gates.

but what about another solution?
As my project concerned mainly with a hardware design, iam planning to use a Microcontroller instead of an FPGA.It is cheaper and easier in implemenation.FPGA is faster, but if there is no timing constraints on your design, a microcontroller is much better solution.

i was planning to make a CA machine on an FPGA (just for simulation), but right now iam stuck in exams :(

regards
mohab

Old Post 01-03-2006 10:32 PM
mohab usama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mohab usama Click here to Send mohab usama a Private Message Click Here to Email mohab usama Visit mohab usama's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KaL

Yeah, FPGA seems to require a lot of pain to get something functionnal.
I'm checking 3d card GPU too... There is a paper about this.
A rapid search on google will do the trick.
Regards.

Old Post 01-04-2006 05:07 PM
J. William Clark
Student
Ontario, Canada

I did an CA-based encryption for an undergrad project as well, and we implemented it on an Altera FPGA. I still have the files and I can give pointers as need be. However we did not actually download it or implement it to be synced with a source. We just used the built in simulator and gave it test wave forms (plaintext) to demonstrate that it properly encrypted it.

We also did a small-scale (4-bit) VHDL layout as proof on concept. Once again, we simulated it only.

I'll attach a couple graphics so you get an idea of what you'd be in for.

Attachment: ca.zip
This has been downloaded 1798 time(s).

Old Post 01-14-2006 02:00 PM
J. William Clark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J. William Clark Click here to Send J. William Clark a Private Message Click Here to Email J. William Clark Visit J. William Clark's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KaL

Wow :)
Thanks for sharing this.
By now, I'm investaging both GPU and FPGA ways... we'll see. I should ask my teachers about this.

Old Post 01-15-2006 03:49 PM
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives