wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > NKS Way of Thinking > Mathematics too complicated
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

Mathematics too complicated

NKS claims the body of Mathematical work is too complicated, etc. For example, it is difficult to solve the partial differential equations used in physics. We should be using simple rules, etc. However, when looking at the axiomatic systems which we consider the core foundation, we see relatively simple "rules." According to NKS, simple rules can produce complicated structures/relationships, etc.

Isn't this what we see in the body of Mathematics (complicated relationships emerging from the core simple rules) already? The body of mathematical work seems to be emerging structures/relationships based on simple rule sets (just as NKS claims) yet NKS (the book) sometimes seems to portray that Mathematics is too "messy."

In summary:

Is the body of mathematics too messy or is it simply following NKS theory (complicated structures emerge from simple rules).

Please take your pick.

What is the NKS book's stand on the question? I have read the book and I would say it chooses both.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-23-2005 08:17 PM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Wesley Ellis

I would say that NKS answers your questions fairly simply. I'm a touch drunk now but I believe that Wolfram answered your questions already in a certain section of his book. Mathematics, just like physics, is a construction, ameneable to alteration through thought and conscience.

Is math "
messy"? NO

Mathematics has traditionally investigated simple, repetitive, or nested rules. NKS has..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-24-2005 12:05 AM
Jason Wesley Ellis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Wesley Ellis Click here to Send Jason Wesley Ellis a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Wesley Ellis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives