wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > NKS Way of Thinking > another perspective of rule 30
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

another perspective of rule 30

The result of an iteration of rule 30 (or any of the elementary rules) may be interpreted in the following way:

Each cell is either black or white.
Black means the algorithm represented by that cell is running (non terminating). White means it terminated.

If at a particular step any of the cells become black then that means the algorithm is running again.

Each cell viewed as representing the runtime state of a simple algorithm affords us the ability to view interaction of algorithms (how they affect each other).

Other variations on the theme include viewing a black cell as representing a different algorithm which does not terminate. The white cells would be algorithms which do terminate. Whatever type of algorithm is in the "cell" is variable (it could be a terminating kind or a non-terminating kind). The first theme above would be more "static." The algorithm in the cell does not change.

Anything thoughts on this perspective? I am interested in developing this a little bit more.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-21-2005 04:47 PM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Wesley Ellis

To study run-times and interactions, one automatically has to treat the CA in question as an object that evolves over time. So one has to follow a "path" through the CA, i feel, and in an infinitely run CA there are infinite paths, so your choice of "paths" is arbitrary, as well as choise of path interactions. Not that i find this to be a drawback, it could be very informative...

This is related to your other post on the Integers, i suppose. one can study relationships between successive numbers, or just the odds, or evens, or every third, fourth, fifth,,,I guess "path" relationships between the integers could be viewed as arbitrary too. Still not a drawback.

Last edited by Jason Wesley Ellis on 12-22-2005 at 04:34 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-22-2005 04:29 PM
Jason Wesley Ellis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Wesley Ellis Click here to Send Jason Wesley Ellis a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Wesley Ellis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives