wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > NKS Way of Thinking > real numbers: complex or not ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

real numbers: complex or not ?

Why treat the Real numbers ( minus the integers ) with the same "dignity" as the Integers? In other words, at the point of definition of the real numbers (back in history) why did those thinkers decide that they wanted the real numbers (minus the integers) to afford such luxuries as "can be defined" or "can be computed with some algorithm."

Numbers such as PI (or other irrational numbers) might not really be numbers. Why do people keep "casting" PI to the mold of "definability" via substitution of a formula? Is it a number or is it not?

Maybe PI and her other cousins are simply computations (or algorithms) - call them green little men- which accidentally got cast as numbers because we force the use of an interface of numbers. Our arsenal of experimental probes are always numbers. The probes bounce off the target (Pi) and we are still looking at numbers. But does that mean the thing is a number?

We define our irrational numbers implicity via algorithmic operations such as division... did you catch that? We D E F I N E numbers like Pi to be equal to some algorithm. For example, is PI equal to 3.1415... ??? NO! It is equal to a parameterized division operation.

Will PI speak up? Why are you content to stand in the crowd of numbers when you are not a number?

Are you for PI or are you against her?

Free PI from numerics foundation dot com.

Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2005 08:50 PM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

What is a Ratio?

It is not a number. It does not result in a number. It is an algorithm. It is division. It continues and continues and does not stop unless it happens to close on an integer.

Pi is a ratio. It never was a number.

Old Post 12-09-2005 05:59 PM
Philip Ronald Dutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Ronald Dutton Click here to Send Philip Ronald Dutton a Private Message Visit Philip Ronald Dutton's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gershom Zajicek M.D.
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

Variation on a theme

We define our irrational emotions implicitly via operations such as a KISS. . . did you catch that? We D E F I N E words like KISS to be equal to some action. For example, is my KISS the same as yours? NO! I am simply the best!

Will KISS speak up? Why are you content to stand in the crowd of words when you are not a word?

Are you for KISS or are you against her?

Free KISS from the prison of words!

Thanks

Old Post 12-10-2005 07:28 PM
Gershom Zajicek M.D. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gershom Zajicek M.D. Click here to Send Gershom Zajicek M.D. a Private Message Click Here to Email Gershom Zajicek M.D. Visit Gershom Zajicek M.D.'s homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vasily Shirin

Hurrah! NKS disproves real numbers!
GO NKS GO!!!

Old Post 12-11-2005 06:36 PM
Vasily Shirin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vasily Shirin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip Ronald Dutton
independent
Columbia, SC

KISS

In light of the "philosophy" of NKS, KISS (Keep It Simple Saints!).

(I couldn't resist)

Old Post 12-12-2005 04:00 AM
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives