wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > Applied NKS > CA models of fluids: a notebook of programs and references
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Phillips
Wolfram Science Group
Boston, USA

CA models of fluids: a notebook of programs and references

Attached is a notebook containing Mathematica programs, and literature references, that may help to understand how to do CA fluid dynamics. The main text section in the book that talks about this is:
http://www.wolframscience.com/nksonline/page-376

Attachment: cellularautomatonfluids.nb
This has been downloaded 3097 time(s).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-27-2004 11:46 PM
Richard Phillips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Phillips Click here to Send Richard Phillips a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Cawley
Wolfram Science Group
Phoenix, AZ USA

Very nice stuff, Richard, thanks...

Old Post 03-28-2004 02:48 AM
Jason Cawley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Cawley Click here to Send Jason Cawley a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A.Shankar Ananth
Anna University
INDIA

Re: CA models of fluids: a notebook of programs and references

Wonderful work. A must know for Chemical Engineers like me

Old Post 07-07-2004 12:12 PM
A.Shankar Ananth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A.Shankar Ananth Click here to Send A.Shankar Ananth a Private Message Click Here to Email A.Shankar Ananth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter Laurie
A L Systems
Dorset, UK

Boat wakes

I found the vortex street on p 380 of NKS very astonishing and I was thinking of trying the method on the movement of a boat across the surface of water. The wake is very complicated.

This may take more than an afternoon!

If anyone has any interest in this project, maybe we could collaborate?

Old Post 03-13-2005 11:38 AM
Peter Laurie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peter Laurie Click here to Send Peter Laurie a Private Message Click Here to Email Peter Laurie Visit Peter Laurie's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter Laurie
A L Systems
Dorset, UK

anotherway of doinf finite element analysis?

Is there anything fundamentally different between this and finite element analysis?

I expect I've missed something. Maybe the bit of randomisation?

Old Post 03-13-2005 02:58 PM
Peter Laurie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peter Laurie Click here to Send Peter Laurie a Private Message Click Here to Email Peter Laurie Visit Peter Laurie's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Phillips
Wolfram Science Group
Boston, USA

Yes, I think the two methods are rather different.

The CA (or "lattice gas") model uses many, many very simple idealized particles, and at a much larger scale than the particles you see continuous looking fluid motion. It takes many millions of these particles to simulate even quite small parts of a fluid. No conventional continuous math like differential equations is involved (at least in the model itself). This is really different from conventional numerical approximations to continuous mathematics.

Generally finite element models split up space into small patches and approximate each using conventional continuous math, getting systems of equations out, to solve using numerical methods. These patches are relatively much larger than the cells in the CA.

Here's a short description of finite elements:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FiniteElementMethod.html

Another popular method is so-called Lattice Boltzmann methods which very roughly speaking are half way between things like the CA models and the numerical methods.

Perhaps you mean something deeper by "fundamentally different" but the construction of the models certainly is.

Old Post 03-16-2005 07:05 PM
Richard Phillips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Phillips Click here to Send Richard Phillips a Private Message Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Rowland
Wolfram Research
Maryland

updated for version 8

I've updated the Arrow and other code so this will work in version 8.

Attachment: cellularautomatonfluids.nb
This has been downloaded 389 time(s).

Old Post 06-19-2012 02:04 PM
Todd Rowland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Rowland Click here to Send Todd Rowland a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Rowland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives