wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > NKS Way of Thinking > In waterfalls energy is pouring down as in cellular automata.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Volkmar Weiss

Leipzig, Germany

In waterfalls energy is pouring down as in cellular automata.

Last summer I visited the Wells Gray Park in British Columbia, where the Murtle River plunges 141 m into Helmckens Canyon. Helmckens Falls is considered by many to be among the most impressive in North America. The power of the falling water is equal to the power of about 20,000 horses. The entire spectacle is such an enthralling one, that you could spend considerable time watching the whitened river, as it shoots down and down. I became fascinated more and more because I did not see a continuum of falling water, but structures familiar to me from "A New Kind of Science", triangles pouring down, branching, deintegrating, and unifying again. Does anybody know a modelling of a waterfall from this point of view?

Volkmar Weiss, Leipzig, Germany
http://www.volkmar-weiss.de/chaos.html

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-30-2005 03:00 PM
Volkmar Weiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Volkmar Weiss Click here to Send Volkmar Weiss a Private Message Click Here to Email Volkmar Weiss Visit Volkmar Weiss's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives