wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > NKS Way of Thinking > Googling for integers
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Brian Silverman
MIT, Playful Invention Company
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Googling for integers

In the open problems and project paper there's a suggestion to:

"Characterize what numbers are common on the web."

I wrote a script to get going on this. It sends successive integers to Google and parses the reply to find out how many responses Google has by looking for the "of about" that's on the blue separator line.

I'm attaching a graph of the first ten thousand results. Notice the nested structure. n thousand has a lot of hits. n hundred somewhat less etc. Within each group there's a similar pattern with the 5 case doing better than it's peers.

There's one really large peak. Unsurprisingly it's at 2003.

I also noticed that these numbers aren't very stable. The graph I've included was generated in late August. I redid the run a couple of months later and everything was different in detail. I've even seen relatively large changes from one day to the next.

Two questions one could ask:
1) what is the biggest integer on the web
2) what is the smallest integer not on the web

(the first question comes from Stephen Wolfram. the second from Mitchel Resnick -- I'd guess that the first one is a recently discovered prime and that the second one has 8 digits)

Brian Silverman has attached this image:

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-27-2003 05:22 PM
Brian Silverman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Silverman Click here to Send Brian Silverman a Private Message Click Here to Email Brian Silverman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bfl

Brian:

I am here through a fluke of being distracted by the Wolfram site as part of looking for other stuff on Google.

This kind of problem seems to be reduced/cheapened once it has been posed: now all I gotta do is write something that continually places arbitrarily large/small integers on the web. :)

Not that that figure and your Googling effprt is not interesting. I can't make out the x axis, so I'm not sure what to make of the local peaks.

Old Post 12-17-2003 04:59 AM
bfl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bfl Click here to Send bfl a Private Message Click Here to Email bfl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dimitry Gashinsky

Benford's Law

I wonder if the integer first digit follows benford's law.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BenfordsLaw.html

Old Post 06-05-2004 06:30 PM
Dimitry Gashinsky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dimitry Gashinsky Click here to Send Dimitry Gashinsky a Private Message Visit Dimitry Gashinsky's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives