wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > News & Announcements > Open Letter on the Big Bang
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MikeHelland

Open Letter on the Big Bang

http://www.cosmologystatement.org/

This might be of use to NKS students because a static universe with no Big Bang would fit much better in with NKS style models of physical reality.

If in fact the Big Bang is tossed (which, I believe it should be though I don't believe it will be by mainstream science necessarily soon) then the issue of whether or not the conservation of energy is real will come into question.

Many will argue that it must be real due to Noether's Theorem. Noether's theorem proves that conservation laws are a result of symmetries in the universe.

Simple programs will have a unique oppurtunity to shine here. Its task?

Produce postulates of the universe that are deeper than the postulates required by Noether's theorem, demonstrating that the conservation laws are accurate at typical scales in human experience but break down at extreme cosmological scales.

If this can be done a new era in cosmology will emerge and computation will have made its entrance, securing its respect as a valuable tool in scientific communities.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-27-2004 09:22 PM
MikeHelland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHelland Click here to Send MikeHelland a Private Message Visit MikeHelland's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Smith
Meme Media
Melbourne, Australia

Prejudices everywhere

Mike, I'd be first to agree that the effective monopoly on funding by big bang proponents is a bad thing, but I do have problems with some of your reasoning:

(A) static universe with no Big Bang would fit much better in with NKS style models of physical reality.
There are two objections here:
  1. Surely the objective of any kind of science is to fit models to reality and not the other way around. Fitting reality to models is the domain of religions.
  2. A few weeks ago I announced here my recent discovery of a simple evolving network which gives something analogous to inflation for free.
The older I get the more I realise that it is not smart for any of us to decide what we want the world to be and then defend that position to the death. The world is what it is and our models can be an important tool to help us see it how it is, but nothing more.

Local organiser

Old Post 05-28-2004 01:44 AM
Tony Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Smith Click here to Send Tony Smith a Private Message Visit Tony Smith's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeHelland

I don't understand your idea so I have a couple questions that may help me understand:

1. Are you simpy adding more nodes to the graph or are you actually increasing the relative sizes of nodes from one step to the next? Can you show where this is addressed... in simple simple terms... in your explanations?

2. According to the Big Bang models the rate of inflation changes. It used to be slowing down, now it appears to be accelerating. Is your idea compatible with these observations? How?

Old Post 05-28-2004 06:04 AM
MikeHelland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHelland Click here to Send MikeHelland a Private Message Visit MikeHelland's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Smith
Meme Media
Melbourne, Australia

I've replied to Mike's questions elsewhere.

Old Post 05-28-2004 08:34 AM
Tony Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Smith Click here to Send Tony Smith a Private Message Visit Tony Smith's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  Wolfram|Alpha  |  Wolfram Science Summer School  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives