wolframscience.com

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum > News & Announcements > On Two Mechanisms Related To The 3n+1 Problem
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Brenton Bostick
Wittenberg University
Springfield, OH

On Two Mechanisms Related To The 3n+1 Problem

I have submitted a paper entitled "On Two Mechanisms Related To The 3n+1 Problem" to the MCURCSM conference at Denison University.

Abstract: Let T(n) = (3n+1)/2 if n odd, and n/2 if n even. The 3n+1 problem asks if for all integers n >= 1, there exists an i such that T^i(n) = 1. In this paper, I present two mechanisms related to the problem. The first is a cellular automaton that computes iterations of the 3n+1 function. The second is a function that computes successive local maxima and minima of the sequence generated by iterating T.

The conference website is http://www.denison.edu/mathsci/mcurcsm2003/index.html

The 3n+1 problem is a perfect problem to look at when talking about complex behavior from simple rules. Even though the function is simply defined, the resulting behavior (the number of iterations required for each integer to go to 1) is chaotic and random looking.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-13-2003 02:36 PM
Brenton Bostick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brenton Bostick Click here to Send Brenton Bostick a Private Message Click Here to Email Brenton Bostick Visit Brenton Bostick's homepage! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

wolframscience.com  |  wolfram atlas  |  NKS online  |  web resources  |  contact us

Forum Sponsored by Wolfram Research

© 2004-14 Wolfram Research, Inc. | Powered by vBulletin 2.3.0 © 2000-2002 Jelsoft Enterprises, Ltd. | Disclaimer | Archives